Thursday, October 27, 2011

Of Course, I Remember Those Days

Circa 2006: Freshly out of University having slogged for two prodigal years to earn a Master Degree in Shakespeare, sorry, English; was a little more than confused about what to do next. Hostel food sucks but the thought of not getting food cheaper anywhere troubled me the torturous final semester. Lately I doubt I might have leaked this survival anxiety in my term papers cos, my score was scarish. The only option to get food and a cosy room that cheap @ Rs. 500/month was to continue studying, which I was not so keen considering my laziness.

I hate having read 'The Treasure Island' in high school. I started dreaming of finding sacks and sacks of treasure or winning a lottery that would let me live a luxurious life without working. Not that I bought lottery tickets or go out with shovel and spade to dig places to gamble with the wild dreams. I wanted to just go home spend time the way I would want to, build my own house and create my own furniture. Heck it didn't happen.

Circa same 2006 August: I landed in Hyderabad, eyeballs rolling from utter confusion not knowing what I am upto or are going to be upto. Thanks to my teachers and friends for practically leading me around to acclimatized a village boy to city life. It must have been tough for them and lately I doubt I must have glared at anything that I haven't seen in the Northeast part of India. Yes, I stared like an unthinking goat at many things.

Almost two months slipped by frantically job hunting. My tribal north easterner accent and my super-fast snail-pace typing speed must have simply pissed off all prospective recruiters I vouch. I was on the verge of exploding thinking of how useless I have become even with all the degrees and certificates I have collected in my personal file over the years of my existence. Gosh, I won't deny that I tortured the computer keyboard almost in the same manner I'd hammer a nail into the wall. That must have been loud and people have the right to be scared even by hearing the torturous key hammering. Who would hire a carpenter to do the work of a writer?

Circa same 2006 September: My buddy, our teacher and me, we found a supposed two bedroom house and moved in to start a life which people call as corporate life. The owners were cool, but the house wasn't and the location nearly eat my brain dry in a matter of two months. An interstate railway track was just a stone throw away from the house and a station was just some more stone throw away. Day times were bearable but as night descends I can feel my a** shaking when trains pass by. The most maddening time is when those iron wagons came before the break of dawn, when sleep universally is mysteriously sweet.

Despite my horrible accent and un-commendable typing speed, I got a job when finally I confessed right away that my typing speed and computer knowledge was darn poor. The recruiter, maybe was impressed with my honesty, which was for me a make or break strategy. Much to my own amazement my typing speed increased considerably within weeks of joining. I fell in love with Google quicker than I thought, because my first job involved lots and loads of googling.

We decided to move out to a quiter place away from the railway tracks. A quiter place but a smaller one. We cooked anything that look like food and sleep like tired hunting dogs. Time just came and rolled on faster than a killer tornado. I picked up the habit of coming home at ungodly hours without anyone teaching me. Learning to party even during weekdays was some mischevous fun I discovered too.

Circa 2006-2011: 5 Years in the city, living in the 9th rented house and clinging on to my 3rd job; wow, I should say I am not a very bad gypsy country man..

1 comment:

Dinesh said...

I was there too.....waging my own war against the giant technology....