Friday, August 5, 2011

Seeing the Ugly face of Dead in a Casualty Ward

I suffer a bit from syringe phobia and hate the smell of hospitals. This is one reason why I rarely visit hospitals until things sort of turn sour and extreme. The latest being my visit to Mythri Hospital to consult a physician for my persistent cold topped with fever, severe headache and vomiting spree.

For some unknown reasons, the receptionist at the hospital asked me to directly walk into the casualty ward. There was no time wasted as the young doctor on duty listened to the detail of my ailment. He scribbled some injections and asked one of the nurses to give me the injection and then come back to him after ten minutes of rest on one of the unoccupied beds.

One injection finds its way into my veins and the other swam to my system through my back, which I should admit was painful. About five minutes after I took the injection, something went wrong on one of the beds in the casualty ward. The man who had been lying on my left was losing breath. When this was discovered, all the doctors and nurses in the room rushed to the bed. The doctor who attended me started pressing on the chest of the half alive person to stop the man from going to the world of life after dead.

Within no time all medical equipments were up. Though I was screened away from the live scene now and then, I could hear the monitor beeping, the oxygen supply pipe hissing, the contraction and expansion of the suction bottle in the hands of a nurse and the whispering of the people everywhere. Everyone in the room was send out except those lying on the beds. I stayed on as I too was on a bed.

After about twenty minutes the screens were partially parted and I saw droplets of sweat running down the face of the doctor who attended me. The next thing I saw was the multiple wires attached to the chest of the patient and his faintly visible pumping heart. Looking at the face of the doctor, I was assured that the patient was going to be in this world for some more time. The only thought in my mind at that very moment was, when I will get out of this rather gloomy room, which by then looked more like a passageway between life and dead.

The doctor looked at me and asked me to stand up and sit in a chair. Maybe, he took a trip into my mind and saw how shocked I was or maybe he realized that I have waited for too long. I had to wait for another ten minutes for the doctor to come back to his desk to take home his final prescriptions, which appeared like eternity to me.

The doctor indeed came back and apologized for the delay and started scribbling down my name, age and other details in the doctor's note. However, my expectation of leaving that room was short-lived. Another half alive patient was pushed into the room before the doctor even wrote out one of the eight medicines that he is going to prescribed later.

All patients and attendants not on the beds were send out again; this time I was out too. Standing outside, I could clearly hear the monitor, oxygen pipe and other reviving equipments, which by then have become more fearful than the hissing sound of a poisonous snake. I was really tempted to leave the place then, but the thought of going through all the ordeals I have already been through in another place beckoned me to stay put.
The wait continued maybe for an hour or so. The door finally opened and the patient who was in coma was taken out to an ambulance which was waiting outside. I walked in praying that there be no extreme emergency until I get my prescriptions.

The young doctor apologized again for the delay. I just asked him, 'is today a normal day or a hectic day' to which he admitted that it indeed was a hectic day. I got my prescriptions, said thanks to the cheerful doctor and finally walked out of that gloomy room.

Coming back home I realized the fragile nature of life, the scary outbound flight of the so called spirit out of the body, the mysterious pumping heart of human beings and the ugly face of dead. Life indeed is mysterious and precious, worth to be lived in a cheerful mood like the confident young doctor who managed to smile and make others around him smile even when time and duty crushed him hard and tried to squeeze every ounce of smile out of him.

I ended up spending about four hours, to get a service that wouldn’t even take an hour if it were a normal day for the doctor on duty.

No comments: