Monday, March 7, 2011

Srisailam: The Mallelatheertham Waterfalls, Nagarjuna Sagar Tiger Reserve and the Srisailam Temple

This time allow me to write lesser than what I usually do. This trip to Srisailam was an instant and instinctual plunge that involved no pre planning. My friend asked me whether I'd want to join him on his trip to Srisailam on Friday; a trip scheduled for the next day. An ultimate offer to escape from this finicky hush and rush city life. I had too many sane reasons to accept right away. Glad I decided to be part of the jocund road trip party of only three friends to be with nature, monkeys, antelopes and deers.
Mallelatheertham Waterfall is something I am still unable to comprehend. The location is strange, but the water surprisingly chilled and clear, it lies somewhere in the middle of nowhere. The area is covered by dry deciduous forest with scrub and bamboos forming the major vegetation. This waterfall in many ways reminds me of an oasis (I've not seen one but have read about a lot). You just have to walk down 250 steps to be welcomed to a tropical like forest where the waterfall await those who come seeking for her. I would never know where the water comes from nor want to know. It's too blessed to be investigated. Lets cut it right here.

The only thing I cared at that moment was to strip and get a thrashing treat from the droplets that fall from above. That was what we exactly did. I can compare the droplets hitting my back to that of small hailstones beating down on my head. Sometimes, it feels heavenly if you do things knowing that it involves a little pain. Punishing oneself once in a while is never a crime.

Those wildly tamed monkeys were a sight of relief and surprise. They ate from my hands, I don't care about the legality of what I did.

Another scenic molestation came from the meandering route cut out from the rocks below the Srisailam Dam. I just had to roll my eyes and hold my head so it doesn't roll away. The view of the dam was also majestic and I fell in love with the sunset being reflected on the dam water.

Crossing the Nagarjuna Sagar Tiger Reserve was another cool experience. I like the monkeys having their afternoon naps combining bliss of the warm metaled road, the soft breeze and the shades. I wish I had counted those nappers, but they were too many. They have claimed the road as their evening napping cots.

Tigers were not to be seen as expected though it is a Tiger Reserve. The panicking part was saved for another occasion for that. The journey was not bumpy as the government seemed to be doing a great job maintaining easy connectivity to the famous temple town of Srisailam. We had to squeeze ourselves into a single room that cost us around 800 bucks, which I should say was a little off the track considering the size. Nevertheless, it was clean, so no hard feelings.

Adieu for now, I will consider writing more when the crazy romance with this place subsides, lest I eulogize it too much and sound too bias. I would definitely love to revisit the dam during monsoon to see the overflowing of Krishna River.

Opps, a confession: I missed going to the Temple as I was too lazy to budge in the morning.

I salute you Srisailam.

Thanks Aravind for the wonderful photos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.